Augusta

Augusta, Maine’s capital city, lies along the Kennebec River in Kennebec County. As early as the 1850s, a handful of Jewish families lived in the area and began conducting religious services in homes and in rented spaces.

Augusta Jewish Census

(estimated)

1930-2005

Augusta

Temple Beth El

1957-present

Temple Beth El
Previous
Next

Temple Beth El

Affiliation

Rabbi

Location

Website

Phone

Reform

Rabbi Erica Asch

3 Woodlawn Street, Augusta

www.BethElAugusta.org

(207)622-7450

Temple Beth El

Congregational Timeline

Circa 1940

Temple Beth El began as the Augusta Hebrew Community in a rented space in downtown Augusta.

1973

Beth Israel in Gardiner made the decision to merge with Temple Beth El and brought its members and its Torah scrolls to Augusta.

1992-1996

Rabbi David Aaron served the congregation.

Circa 1950

Lipman Brothers moved their chicken processing plant to Augusta, resulting in more Jewish families moving to the area.

Circa 1977

Rabbi David Fairman served the congregation.

1997

The congregation hired their first full-time rabbi, Rabbi Susan Bulba Carvutto, who served the congregation for 16 years.

1957

The current synagogue was dedicated, with the Lipman family spearheading its construction.

1987

The combined community joined the Reform movement. Emily Lipoff, rabbinical student, served the congregation for just over a year.

2013

Rabbi Erica Asch hired to serve the congregation.

Temple Beth El

Clergy Leadership